Think about your target market and answer me a few questions:
- What is the market’s biggest problem right now? The one that keeps people up at night?
- What’s the latest news in that market? What are people talking about?
- Name three websites, podcasts, or newsletters that focus on this market.
- Who is the top lawyer, CPA, insurance or real estate professional in that market?
- Name two organizations dedicated to that market that have networking functions in your area.
- Name three profitable keywords for blog posts, books, or ads for that market.
Okay, that’s enough to make my point, which is that if you can’t answer these questions, you probably don’t know your target market well enough.
Or you don’t have one.
Which is why, when you set out to write an email or article, you “don’t know what to write about”. Which is why you aren’t writing, or if you are, your writing is too general and doesn’t stand out.
If your last blog post or article or email is written to appeal to “anyone,” there’s a good chance it appeals to “no one”.
When you know your target market well, which you must if you want to dominate it, you won’t have that problem. You’ll have plenty of things to write about, specific to that market. In fact, you’ll have so many ideas, your biggest problem will be deciding which one to write about.
Which is a nice problem to have, don’t you think?
Need help choosing a target market? Use this